• Slovenian (SI)
  • Italian - Italy
  • English (United Kingdom)
  • Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)


On steps Valentin Stanič

The hike to honor Staničs begins at the Srebrničev trg (Srebrnič square) in Solkan. Something above the Plenčičev trg (Plenčič square) is located directly in the immediate vicinity of. «There, in the Church, we find a plaque with a quote from the deed of gift of the Roman Emperor Otto of III to the Patriarch John of Aquileia from the year 1001, is written on the:» …die half of the castle called Solkan and half of the village, which in the language of the Slavs, Gorica called...»

junij 2011 026 (1)From here we continue direction channel/Tolmin, then on the main road along the Soča bridge» most Osimske ceste ", which leads to Goriške Brda. On the Soča River Bridge to the nearby Solkaner bridge» solkanski želežniški most «with his famous 85-meter-long stone arch, dating back to 1906, admire. On the main road it continues at first until we then the slopes of Sabotin up us work on a path. The mountain Sabotin declared already in 1976 to the important natural heritage of Slovenia; Here, we find a large variety of protected species of native plants.On our way a wonderful view of Nova Gorica is soon us. The city of Nova Gorica was built between Solkan and Gorizia/Gorica in Italy. Slovenian ancestors Gorizia/Gorica gave a thousand years ago, it was still a village, its name. After receipt of the dignity of the city, originally Gorizia Center of the County of Gorizia and later even focus on the historic humble country (Goriška dežela). In this area three European living ethnic groups over the centuries long peacefully. Unfortunately, more of a mutual opposition is characterized in recent times, this life together. Here lived in Gorizia our Stanič whole 28 years worked successfully in various areas of activity.

ostankiAfter an hour walk, we come then to the remains of the Church of St. Valentin (Saint Valentine). This church on a pilgrimage trail, was built probably in the 14th century. » Here up Valentin Stanič came to celebrate his name day, so Anton Martin Slomšek wrote in his» Drobtinice «.» But Stanič was not our hiking route at the time, but went over at the Pevmski bridge on the Brda side of Gorizia from. Then, he went past at Pevma and Štmavr to the foot side of the Sabotin, the current Italian national territory, to reach the ruins of the Church of Sv.Valentin. Over the ridge of the mountain beneath us is Sabotin - the Soča River with its dam and hydroelectric power plant, on the other Riverside over, rises to its Summit the Skalnica with pilgrimage chapel of Sveta Gora, further afield we behold the Trnovski gozd (Ternovaner forest), the Čaven and the Modrasovec - we reach the peak of the Sabotin, the so-called Poklon (609 meters ü.d.M) soon.

gore In a southerly direction looking, we see the Carso, Gorizia plain, the Soča River and the sea. The Brda hills, the plains of Friuli, and behind the southern Carnic Alps located towards the West with the highly esteemed by Stanič mountains Monte Cavallo, Monte Pramaggiore and Clapsavon. When visibility is good it manages to see us also Civetto and Antelao in the Dolomites.Between Brda on the left and the soča River Valley on the right side, then, our route takes us on a ridge where we find numerous remains of trenches, bunkers and military tunnel systems.

spominska-pot-01During the first world war, this was the scene of terrible fighting between Italian and Austro-Hungarian units. In September 1943 the front line was also ran on the Sabotin» Goriška fronta ", which at that time included Gorizia.»Then it misses two hours slightly downhill, the refuge and the hunting lodge of the Sabotin, until after Vrhovlje. Here the region goes over geographically Goriška Brda in the Soča Valley. The region of Brda is an ancient settlement, which existed already in Roman times. On the hills of Brda grow grapes, cherries and peaches. The natives of this region, popularly"Brici" called, has always been the Slowenentum protected, as they remained largely autonomous and also no intermarriage with their neighbors entered the Friulanern.

koradaDue to the nearby border, there were here but again military conflicts and so many defense fortifications and castles emerged. Now we have brought the first stage of the tour and the first the two shorter lines, behind us. Vrhovlje continues the main route, or starts the second short Variant. Those who have installed already the trail over the Sabotin behind, notice now certainly easy fatigue, because we go to the highest point of the Trek, the 812 meter-high Korada,. Locals call this mountain also Sveta Gendrca, but also Kobalar, or Kobališče. The walk from Vrhovlje up here takes about one and a half hours. We brighten up with the great views, up from from the here the necessary rest. When the visibility is good, we can see the Snežnik, the Učka, the Adriatic coast, in the West the plains of Friuli, the Carnic Alps and the mountains of the Dolomites.

spominska-pot-02From this vantage point we the Julian Alps behold only ten steps further, with the Monte Chiampon, Muzci, Kanin, Mount Matajur, Rombon, Mangart, Jalovec, Krn, Triglav, the mountain ranges of the southern Wacheiner mountains (wear Bohinj gore), we see the Julian page, up to the Črna prst (black earth) and Porezen. Valentin Stanič was traveling more than two hundred years on some of these mountains with its instruments ago. From here we see behind the Petrovo Brdo, even the Grintovec in the Kamnik Alps (Kamnik Alps). Close the fall of Idrija among us, the Valley. The uplands of the Slavia Veneta (Beneška Slovenija) (Castelmonte) with the Friulian, Slovenian sanctuary famous for centuries Stara gora is located on the opposite side. North-East stretches the ridge of the Kolovrat channel ski with the sanctuary of Marijacelje. On the other page of the soča River, behind the Jack, the Banjška plateau hides planota with the Banjšiče place the first pastoral activities of Valentin Staničs on indigenous Boden.Nur further, leads a short walk us the almost flat path to the pyramid, which is located on the highest point of the Korada. Now, it is also not far to the Church SV. Gendrca, which dates from the 16th century. This church was destroyed during the first world war, then in 1936 again to be built up. The name» Gendrca «the inscription on the small Bell tells us: »In your country of birth you, Gertrude – we Slovenes would rather hear the name of Jérica - here on the Korada you throne already for centuries, in the heart, you vereinigst the North with the South, with your cheerful goodness, you've won our affection, let us simply SV. Gendrca to say «.» Finally, we have climbed the Korada. The trail leads us Kolovrat then over the ridge of the ski of channel to the Summit, on which stands the Church of SV. Jakob; here a beautiful view on the Venetian hills and the Julian Alps (Julijce) awaits us. Downhill it passes towards the channel, at the hamlet of Ravne and the Hay shed Kal nearby Gorenje vas at channel. Allegedly, channel was called formerly known as in Dolenja vas. Under the railway bridge through and already we are on the soča River Bridge. Even the ancient Romans to have built the Soča bridge. Considered safe, that it was created around the year 1350, in the middle ages.


For us Stanič trailers is this bridge of particular interest. French troops destroyed it during their retreat in 1813. Valentin Stanič, then Vicar of Ročinj, created a plan and carried out the construction of a temporary bridge made of wood. At the same time he wrote the Emperor and the Government a letter in verse form, to create a new stone bridge. In times of hunger and hardship, he could help so that people making money. On German, he wrote: "Noth, Franz prints us! Give bread: Sonst-o God! Rapid killing". The Slovenian translation of Anton Martin Slomšek is as follows: "Sila nas stiska, franc, dajte kruha! Če ne, o bog! Hitra bo smrt".

Slomšek further wrote in his notes: "Franz, the good-hearted Emperor, gave the people bread. But also the caring shepherds not defiance he and two years later he was promoted". So, Canon in Gorica (Gorizia) and a new stone bridge was built in 1816 Stanič year. The main Arch of the soča River was destroyed at the beginning of the first world war, after the war he has been established now slightly wider, again with concrete. The smaller (Northern) land arch stone is part of the bridge from 1816 to Stanič had campaigned. For this purpose, also the way speaks as the stones have been processed. Finally, in channel, the medieval town with a town centre, we are rich in cultural heritage. The small old town, which was first mentioned in writing for the first time in the year 1140 located right behind the bridge. At that time, channel was moved to by a city wall. Two towers preserved us from this time until today. One is used as an exhibition space of the Gallery Rika Dadhwal and is still in original condition. We can admire the second tower as a corner of the restaurant Križnič. The famous Gothic House sits on the Kontrada with the original room of the composer Marij Kogoj and the library of Josip Kocjančičs.


On the market square, the Church of Maria Himmelfahrt (cerkva Marijinega vnebozetja), has the Gothic altar, we find the fountain of Neptune by Matija dating back to 1815 and the Valentin Stanič monument of by sculptor Janez Pirnat dating back to 1957. At the upper end of the square there is the monument of the composer Marij Kogoj, at the southern entrance of channel, the monument of the painter Ivan Čargo. The industrious brothers Lakey, the brothers Mole' (Vojeslav was translator and Rudolf historian) were still in times of the reading rooms in channel at home, as there are many other deserving men.

The trail "in the footsteps of Valentin Stanič" ends here. The hike took pretty long, but it represents a reasonable memory of Valentin Stanič, who was countless times on the Hill SV. Valentine. At the same time she should remember home also his repeated ride from Salzburg, after Bodrež.

Thank you for your participation. We wish you a safe journey home. Stay healthy and come back next time.

nacrt-kanalPlaninsko društvo Valentin Stanič Kanal

Fran Levec: Soča 1873 / Slovenija-turistični vodnik, ZMK 1955
Slovenija-turistični vodnik, ZMK 1955
Marijino Celje 3, Sakralni spomeniki Primorske 1995
Evgen Lovšin: Valentin Stanič, Ljubljana 1956
Stanko Klinar: Valentin Stanič, PZS 2000 / channel ski
kolovrat, 2000
Sergio Tavano: Gorica in njena.MP3 grofija, Gorica 2002
Gorica in njena grofija, Gorica 2002
Dr. Tanja Peterlin Nader: Staničevo zadnje dobro delo, 2002

Authors: Jože Medvešček and Marko Valentinčič
DTP A media


Pr' Cerovščku

Gregorčičeva 3
5213 Kanal

G: +386 (0)41 728 561

P: +386 (0)5 300 03 33
F: +386 (0)5 333 30 34

- Rooms Appartament or House on the protective old part of Kanal of the river Soča

- Familiy-friendly